Tier 4 (General) student

Apply to extend or switch to Tier 4 (General) student.

How to apply

To apply to extend or switch to a Tier 4 (General) student you need to:

Find more information on the requirements for a Tier 4 (General) student, including the documents you will need to submit with your application.

How long it takes you to complete the application will depend on your particular situation. You will be able to save your application and come back to it another time if you need to.

If you are inactive for 25 minutes you will be automatically logged out.

Postgraduate studies

If you are taking a postgraduate course in certain subjects you might need an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate. Find out if you need an ATAS certificate.

You can apply online if you need an ATAS certificate.


Standard service Priority service Premium Service
A decision within 8 weeks A decision within 10 working days Most people get a decision on the same day
475.00 GBP 952.00 GBP 1085.00 GBP

A super premium service is also available. The fee for this service is £10,500 for your visit, plus the premium service fee for your application type.

Healthcare surcharge

You will also have to pay a healthcare surcharge (called the ‘immigration health surcharge’ or IHS) in addition to your visa fee.

The exact amount you have to pay will depend on the length of your visa. Check how much you will have to pay before you apply.

Biometric information

As part of the application process, you are required to apply for a biometric residence permit. If you choose Standard or Priority service you will be required to pay an additional fee of £19.20 per applicant to have your biometrics collected.

You will only be considered for Tier 4 (General) leave to remain. You will not be considered for any other type of leave to remain. You must use a different form if you want to stay for another reason.

How we use your data

The Home Office will use the personal information you provide to decide whether to grant your application. We may also share your information with other public and private sector organisations in the UK and overseas. For more detail please see the Privacy Notice for the Border, Immigration and Citizenship system. This also sets out your rights under the Data Protection Act 2018 and explains how you can access your personal information and complain if you have concerns about how we are using it.

Apply now