Apply to settle in the UK – Private Life

Use this form to apply to settle (also known as 'indefinite leave to remain') in the UK if you have been given a permission to stay (also known as limited leave) on the basis of your private life.

Do not use this form if:

You can only use this form if you are over 18 and are applying in the UK.

You can apply to settle in the UK after 5 years if you were first granted permission on the private life route as a child or as a young adult (aged between 18 and 24) and you have lived in the UK for more than half your life. If you are aged under 18 and are applying to settle on the basis of your private life, you must apply on a different form.

Any other person with permission on the private life route can apply to settle in the UK after 10 years.

You may be able to apply for your children to settle if they were born in the UK.

Knowledge of language and life in the UK

If you are 18 to 64 you must:

Before you apply

Before you begin, read the guidance to find out about eligibility, how to make your application and the required documents.

This application includes an application for a biometric residence permit (BRP).

How long it takes you to complete the application will depend on your particular circumstances. You will be able to save your application and come back to it at another time if you need to.

If you are inactive for 25 minutes you will be automatically logged out.

Biometric information

As part of the application process, you are also required to apply for a biometric immigration document, commonly known as a biometric residence permit (BRP).

How we use your data

The Home Office will use the personal information you provide to consider your application. We may also share your information with other public and private sector organisations in the UK and overseas. For more detail please see the Privacy Notice for the Borders, Immigration and Citizenship system. This also sets out your rights under the Data Protection Act 2018 and explains how you can access your personal information and complain if you have concerns about how we are using it.

Apply now