Nationality services

Use this online form to apply in the UK for the following nationality services:

  • giving up (renouncing) British nationality ( form RN)
  • applying for a duplicate certificate ( form NC)
  • applying for a letter to confirm your immigration status ( form NS)
  • applying for a letter to confirm you have never acquired British nationality (form NQ)

You cannot apply online if you live in the Channel Islands, on the Isle of Man or in a British Overseas Territory. You should apply using the Channel Islands, Isle of Man, British Overseas Territory forms, RN, NC, NS and NQ.

More about each option

Giving up (renouncing) British nationality (form RN)

Select this option if you are a British citizen, British overseas territories citizen, British overseas citizen, British national (overseas) or British subject and you want to give up that citizenship or nationality. You cannot renounce your citizenship or nationality if you do not hold another citizenship or nationality or will not acquire another citizenship or nationality within 6 months as doing so could make you stateless.

Applying for a duplicate certificate (form NC)

Select this option if you have lost or damaged a citizenship certificate that was issued after October 1986 and want a new one. You cannot use this form to replace a certificate that was issued before October 1986. For anything before October 1986, you need to contact the National Archives

Applying for a letter to confirm your immigration status (form NS)

Select this option if you believe you have a claim to British nationality and want written confirmation of that status. If you wish to confirm your nationality status for work, immigration or travel purposes, you must apply to Her Majesty’s Passport Office for a British passport. You must only use this form if you want to confirm your status for another reason. This form cannot be used to confirm status for the purposes of issuing a passport.

If you want to apply for a British passport, you should read the guidance

Applying for a letter to confirm you have never acquired British nationality (form NQ)

Select this option if you need proof that you have not gained British citizenship while in the UK.

Before you apply

Before you begin, read the guidance on each service listed above to find out about eligibility, how to make your request and required documents.

How long it takes you to complete the application will depend on your particular circumstances. You will be able to save your application and come back to it at another time if you need to.

If you are inactive for 25 minutes you will be automatically logged out.

You must submit your documents within 10 working days of submitting your online application. If you do not do this your application may be rejected.

Apply now