Register for British citizenship as a child under 18

Use this online form to register for British citizenship as a child under 18. This is an alternative to the paper form ‘MN1’. If you were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983 and lived here until you were 10 years old, you might be able to use form T to register as a British citizen, instead.

In your application, you can include other children under 18 if they meet the eligibility criteria. Read more about citizenship for children under 18.

Before you register

Before you begin your application, ensure you have two referees who can endorse you.

For further information on residence requirements, eligibility, referees and the evidence we require, read the guidance notes and requirements booklet.

Find out more about the fees for citizenship applications.

Any reference in this form to the UK includes England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.

Any reference in this form to EEA nationals includes Swiss nationals.

Nationality checking service

If you plan to register for British citizenship through the nationality checking service, you must use the paper form. If you want to make a joint citizenship and passport application, then you must register through the nationality checking service.

If you do not live in the UK

You cannot register online at this time. You should download and complete the paper form. (This includes people who live in the Channel Islands, on the Isle of Man or in a British Overseas Territory).

How long it takes you to complete the application will depend on your particular situation. You will be able to save your application and come back to it at another time if you need to.

If you are inactive for 25 minutes you will be automatically logged out.

How we use your data

The Home Office will use the personal information you provide to consider your application. We may also share your information with other public and private sector organisations in the UK and overseas. For more detail please see the Privacy Notice for the Border, Immigration and Citizenship system. This also sets out your rights under the Data Protection Act 2018 and explains how you can access your personal information and complain if you have concerns about how we are using it.

Apply now