Hong Kong British National (Overseas) (BN(O)) visa


You must apply online for the Hong Kong British National (Overseas) (BN(O)) visa.

You can use this service if you are applying for the visa, or if you are applying with a BN(O) Status Holder.

Check which documents you need to apply.

Apply inside the UK

You may be able to apply to:

  • extend your BN(O) visa
  • switch to a BN(O) visa

After you apply

If you need to change something in your application after you have sent it, contact UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).

You can ask to withdraw your application by contacting UKVI. Your fee will only be refunded if UKVI has not started processing your application.

After you get a decision

If your application is successful, you’ll get either:

  • a biometric residence permit - if you gave your biometric information at a visa application centre
  • a digital immigration status which you can view and prove online - if you used the 'UK Immigration: ID Check' app

How we use your data

The Home Office will use the personal information you provide to decide whether to grant your application. We may also share your information with other public and private sector organisations in the UK and overseas. For more detail please see the Privacy Notice for the Border, Immigration and Citizenship system. This also sets out your rights under the Data Protection Act 2018 and explains how you can access your personal information and complain if you have concerns about how we are using it.

Apply now