Apply to stay in the UK as a stateless person

You can use this form if you want to stay in the UK because you are stateless:

  • which means that you are not recognised as a national of any country and
  • you do not have the right to reside in any other country

Partners and children of a stateless person

If you are the partner or child of a stateless person (and are not yourself stateless) you can only apply on this form if you were granted permission as a partner or child of a stateless person before 31 January 2024 and are applying to extend that permission or you are applying for settlement.

In any other case, if you are the partner or child of a stateless person (and are not yourself stateless) you must apply on a different form. For more information about which form to use, please see Family visas: apply, extend or switch: Overview - GOV.UK (

Before you apply

Before you start your application, read the Stateless Guidance on:

  • eligibility
  • how to apply and required documents

How long it takes you to complete the application will depend on your particular circumstances. You will be able to save your application and come back to it at another time if you need to.

If you are inactive for 25 minutes, you will be automatically logged out.

You must submit your documents within 10 working days of submitting your online application. If you do not do this, your application may be rejected.

Biometric information

As part of the application process, you are also required to apply for a biometric immigration document, commonly known as a biometric residence permit (BRP).

How we use your data

The Home Office will use the personal information you provide to consider your application. We may also share your information with other public and private sector organisations in the UK and overseas. For more detail please see the Privacy Notice for the Border, Immigration and Citizenship system. This also sets out your rights under the Data Protection Act 2018 and explains how you can access your personal information and complain if you have concerns about how we are using it.

Apply now