Application to remain in the UK on the basis of family life or private life

You can apply to remain in the UK as the family member, partner or child of a:

  • British citizen
  • person settled (with indefinite leave to enter or remain) in the UK
  • person with pre-settled status under the EUSS in the UK
  • person who has refugee leave or humanitarian protection in the UK
  • person who has leave as a Turkish ECAA worker or business person in the UK

Fee waiver applicants must complete an online fee waiver request.

Applying as a parent

You can also apply to remain in the UK as the parent of a child in the UK, if your child is:

  • a British citizen
  • settled (with indefinite leave to enter or remain, or proof of permanent residence)
  • in the UK with pre-settled status under the EUSS

You can also apply if your child has lived in the UK continuously for at least 7 years immediately before the application date and it would be unreasonable to expect them to leave the UK.

Your child must either:

  • be under 18 on the date you apply; or
  • have been under 18 when you were first granted entry clearance or leave to remain as their parent and not have formed an independent family unit or be leading an independent life

Applying as a child

You can also apply using this form if:

  • your parent has been granted leave to enter or remain as a partner or parent of a person who is present and settled in the UK; has pre settled status under the EUSS; or is a person who has leave as a Turkish ECAA worker or business person in the UK
  • you are applying to remain in the UK with a person who has been granted leave to remain on the basis of their family or private life in the UK
  • Otherwise, you can apply if there are compelling reasons to stay in the UK and suitable arrangements have been made for your care

Private life in the UK

You can also use this form to apply on the basis of your private life in the UK.

Adding family members

You can also add some family members (‘dependants’) to your application. For example, if you are applying as a partner with 2 children, you can all apply on the same application.

By making this application, you and each dependant included in this form are also making a human rights claim under the European Convention on Human Rights.

When you cannot use this form

You cannot use this form to apply for settlement (also known as ‘indefinite leave to enter or remain’).

If you are applying to extend your stay as an Adult Dependent Relative apply online

Before you apply

Before you start your application, read the guidance on:

  • eligibility
  • how to apply and required documents
  • fees

This application includes an application for a biometric residence permit.

How long it takes you to complete the application will depend on your particular circumstances. You will be able to save your application and come back to it at another time if you need to.

If you are inactive for 25 minutes, you will be automatically logged out.

Biometric information

As part of the application process, you are also required to apply for a biometric immigration document, commonly known as a biometric residence permit (BRP).

How we use your data

The Home Office will use the personal information you provide to consider your application. We may also share your information with other public and private sector organisations in the UK and overseas. For more detail please see the Privacy Notice for the Border, Immigration and Citizenship system. This also sets out your rights under the Data Protection Act 2018 and explains how you can access your personal information and complain if you have concerns about how we are using it.

Apply now