If you want to apply for a registration certificate as an EEA or Swiss national

You don’t currently need to apply for a document to prove you can live in the UK. A new scheme will be available for EU citizens to apply to stay in the UK after it leaves the EU.

Before the new scheme is in place, you only need to apply for a registration certificate if:

  • You are an extended family member of an EEA or Swiss person and aren’t a qualified person in your own right

If you would like to find out the latest information, including when you will need to sign up for the new scheme, you can sign up for email updates.

If you wish to make an application, you can also include your spouse, civil partner, children and other relatives if they are currently in the UK with you and are dependent on you, or part of your household, even if they are a non-EEA national.

Read the guide to check if you qualify and to see which relatives you can add.

What you need to know before applying

You will have to:

  • give details of what you have been doing in the UK, such as working
  • have your passport or identity card to hand

You will be told at the end of the application which types of documents you need to upload or take to your UKVCAS (Sopra Steria Service Point) appointment.

It costs £65 per person to apply, payable by credit or debit card.

You will be able to save your application and come back to it at another time if you need to.

If you are inactive for 25 minutes you will be automatically logged out.

Who cannot apply online

Some applicants cannot currently use the online form.

Apply using the family or extended family paper form if you are:

  • a family member of a qualifying EEA national (your sponsor) and you are not applying at the same time as them

Apply using the EEA (QP) paper form if you are:

About the online form

Unlike the paper form, this online application form only asks the questions that are relevant to you.

This online application form follows a set structure. In order to proceed through and submit the form, each page needs to be completed. If this approach causes any difficulty, you may wish to use the alternative paper form for your application.

Any reference in this form to EEA nationals includes Swiss nationals.

By completing this form, you and any dependants will only be considered for EEA (QP) - Registration Certificate (EEA or Swiss National). You will not be considered for any other type of leave to remain. You must use a different form if you want to stay for another reason.

How we use your data

The Home Office will use the personal information you provide to consider your application. We may also share your information with other public and private sector organisations in the UK and overseas. For more detail please see the Privacy Notice for the Borders, Immigration and Citizenship system. This also sets out your rights under the Data Protection Act 2018 and explains how you can access your personal information and complain if you have concerns about how we are using it.

Apply now