If you want to apply for a document certifying permanent residence as an EEA or Swiss national

You don’t currently need to apply for a document to prove you can live in the UK. This is unless you are an EEA or Swiss national and:

  • you want to use your permanent residence status as the basis for applying for British citizenship
  • you want to sponsor your family member's visa application under the Immigration Rules

Staying in the UK after it leaves the EU

If you want to stay in the UK after it leaves the EU, you and your family members will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme, even if you have a document certifying permanent residence. You will need to apply before:

  • 30 June 2021, if the UK leaves the EU with a deal
  • 31 December 2020, if the UK leaves the EU without a deal

You can apply to the EU Settlement scheme now, instead of applying for a document certifying permanent residence. It’s simple to apply and free.

If you wish to make an application, you can also include your spouse, civil partner, children and other relatives if they are currently in the UK with you and are dependent on you, or part of your household, even if they are a non-EEA national.

Read the guide to check if you qualify and to see which relatives you can add.

What you need to know before applying

You will have to:

  • give details of what you have been doing in the UK, such as working
  • have your passport or identity card to hand
  • tell us about the time you’ve spent outside the UK (but only trips of 6 months or more)

It is very important that you upload the correct documentation online or take the correct documentation to your UKVCAS (Sopra Steria Service Point) appointment. You should therefore read the guidance on the number of documents and types of evidence you must submit to support your application. Please note that question numbers and section references in the guidance differ from the online form.

You will also be reminded at the end of the application which types of documents you need to upload or take to your UKVCAS (Sopra Steria Service Point) appointment.

It costs £65 per person to apply, payable by credit or debit card.

EEA Nationals do not need to provide their biometrics, but you will need to attend an appointment at a UKVCAS service point so that a scan can be taken of your passport. You may need to pay a fee for your appointment, depending on the service point you choose and you can find additional information about this here.

You will be able to save your application and come back to it at another time if you need to.

If you are inactive for 25 minutes you will be automatically logged out.

Who cannot apply online

Some applicants cannot currently use the online form.

Apply using the EEA (PR) paper form if you are:

  • a family member of a qualifying EEA national (your sponsor) but you are not applying at the same time as them
  • a student or self-sufficient person who is financially responsible for any other family members or is reliant on a family member for financial support
  • applying on the basis of retained rights
  • applying under the Surinder Singh category
  • About the online form

    Unlike the paper form, this online application form only asks the questions that are relevant to you.

    This online application form follows a set structure. In order to proceed through and submit the form, each page needs to be completed. If this approach causes any difficulty, you may wish to use the paper form for your application.

    Any reference in this form to EEA nationals includes Swiss nationals.

    By completing this form, you and any dependants will only be considered for EEA (PR) – a document certifying permanent residence (EEA or Swiss National) or a permanent residence card (non-EEA nationals). You will not be considered for any other type of leave to remain. You must use a different form if you want to stay for another reason.

    How we use your data

    The Home Office will use the personal information you provide to consider your application. We may also share your information with other public and private sector organisations in the UK and overseas. For more detail please see the Privacy Notice for the Borders, Immigration and Citizenship system. This also sets out your rights under the Data Protection Act 2018 and explains how you can access your personal information and complain if you have concerns about how we are using it.

    Apply now