Child Student

Apply to extend or switch to Child Student. This is for children between 4 and 17 wanting to study at an independent school in the UK.

How to apply

To apply to extend or switch to a Child Student you need to:

Find more information on the requirements for a Child Student, including the documents you will need to submit with your application.

How long it takes you to complete the application will depend on your particular situation. You will be able to save your application and come back to it another time if you need to.

If you are inactive for 25 minutes you will be automatically logged out.


Standard service Priority service Super priority service
A decision within 8 weeks after attending your biometrics appointment A decision within 5 working days after attending your biometrics appointment A decision the next working day following your biometrics appointment
490.00 GBP 990.00 GBP 1290.00 GBP

Healthcare surcharge

You will also have to pay a healthcare surcharge (called the ‘immigration health surcharge’ or IHS) in addition to your visa fee.

The exact amount you have to pay will depend on the length of your visa. Check how much you will have to pay before you apply.

Biometric information

As part of the application process, you are also required to apply for a biometric immigration document, commonly known as a biometric residence permit (BRP).

You will only be considered for Child Student permission to stay. You will not be considered for any other type of leave to remain. You must use a different form if you want to stay for another reason.

How we use your data

The Home Office will use the personal information you provide to consider your application. We may also share your information with other public and private sector organisations in the UK and overseas. For more detail please see the Privacy Notice for the Borders, Immigration and Citizenship system. This also sets out your rights under the Data Protection Act 2018 and explains how you can access your personal information and complain if you have concerns about how we are using it.

Apply now