The Home Office complies with the Data Protection Act 1998 and is responsible for when and how your personal information is collected and used.
The information you provide is used to:
- make a decision on your visa application
- help prevent and detect crime
- help improve the service and train Home Office staff
Sharing your information
The information you provide may be shared with other people to:
- process your application
- check it is correct
- help prevent and detect crime, eg fraud and money laundering
They may also use your information for their own purposes.
Other people include, for example:
- fraud prevention agencies
- UK or overseas government departments or law enforcement agencies
- people whose visa application is linked to yours (eg your partner, if you’re travelling together)
- people who can verify the information in your application
How information held by fraud prevention agencies may be used.